Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ironman Training Days 15-16: Busy Weekend

I need a weekend to recover from my weekend!

Saturday, Day 15

Saturday marked my second weekend taking Rick's 8am cycling class at C-Velo, followed immediately by Jennifer's Yoga for Cyclists class at the same studio.

Rick worked us hard, and we spent most of our class working on building power at higher cadences. It really taxes me aerobically to work at cadence intervals of 95, 100, 105 & 110 rpm. But these drills definitely work. When I had my VO2 Max tested 2 years ago, I could barely hold 80 rpm during the test. But now I do threshold power tests comfortably at 92-94 rpm. I've always been something of a masher, but Rick is quickly turning me into a spinner. See, miracles ARE possible!




After Rick made jello of my quads, Jennifer proceeded to make jello out of my core. That, of course, is not very difficult, because the wimpy, weak muscles around my middle aren't even deserving of being *called* a "core". Oy vey, have I got some work to do.

After class I ran some errands (including dropping some serious cash at the Bob's Red Mill store - I just don't know how those Paleo people survive...), then returned home. Having just had my tri bike fit completed, I was anxious to take it out on the road for a real test drive.

The new fit is fantastic. I was only out for just under an hour, but I had NO trouble staying in the aerobars. The tweaks Stephanie made to my saddle hight, fore-aft position and the angle of the bars really made a difference there. The only thing I'm not totally sold on yet is the cleat position on my right shoe, but I'm going to give my body time to adjust to it.

And the bike really moves. I predict good results this coming season! :-)

After all that, did I sleep well on Saturday night? Why yes, yes I did.

Sunday, Day 16

For my 40th birthday 2 years ago, I ran the Girlfriends's Half Marathon in Vancouver, WA. It was my first ever half, and having just lost nearly 40 pounds, it was a very emotional day for me. Last year and this year again, I signed up for a repeat. Last year I took alot of time off my first year's result and was thrilled. Fast forward to 2011...Boy, what a difference a year makes.

I quit running in June. On top of all the mileage for PBP (upwards of 1000 miles per month from May to August), the tendons in my legs just couldn't handle the additional stress of running. I had to give it up. I was hoping to resume running in early September, after PBP, with the idea that I could salvage enough fitness to at least *finish* the Girlfriend's Half. Sadly, that was not to be. With the tendonitis in my left knee unhealed, I made the decision a month ago that I had to pull out of the event.

On Sunday, I carpooled to the start of the race with Jill & Catherine. My original plan was to go for an hour long run while they raced, then to join them at the finish. Instead, I decided to start the race with Catherine. I matched her pace for the first 3 miles, then short cut the course on the way back, for a total of 7 miles. I walked a bit in the last 4. My knee started talking to me somewhere around mile 6. Best not to push too hard yet.

In all, 6 of my girlfriends ran on Sunday. I'm so lucky to have such active, fun-loving friends!


Catherine (left) and Jill pictured above, wearing big smiles post-race.

No comments:

Post a Comment